Hello Fans, In any case you missed the first part of my cucumber farming journey, you can read it here.
Well, after the loss of funds I had to actually get to the bottom of the matter and see why things went south. I actually saw the following challenges:
(1) I was not always on the farm everyday as I wasn’t leaving near the farm yet.
(2) The orientation of my bed was against the flow of water and since the area was water logged, there was no drainage.
(3) I used ONLY inorganic fertilizers which were applied apparently too close to the plants by the labourers I hired.
(4) I used too many pesticides because of a high pest infestation.
(5) I used non-hybrid seeds.
Having known this, I went back to the drawing board, re-strategised and started a new farm. This time, I had to make sure i never repeated any previous mistakes. I moved down to a part of the land that have never been cultivated, I planted hybrid seeds, mulched and made sure I visited the farm everyday and this time, I went organic, though not 100%! I got a biological pheremone(Tsukill) to curtail insects and made sure i used only organic ammendments.
Well, this time I got it right…or so I thought. Then the rains returned in september and my siting the farm in a water logged area, downy mildew wiped the farm away even with my fungicide sprays the disease didn’t respect the fungicide. Fortunately was able to harvest over 30 bags on 1 plot of land…better than before…the story continues.
Enjoy some pictures